Blog Archive

Sunday, July 12, 2015

thirteen hundred fourteen: same shorts different day



I've been through quite a whirlwind of events and emotions the past fifteen hours. At midnight last night I turned thirty two and I had a very busy night at work as well. But that barely scraped the surface on what was about to come. I was minding my own business walking home after getting dropped off by the bus just a few blocks from my home. And halfway through my walk I was confronted by two men (one with a gun pointed directly at me) telling me to give them my phone and to empty out my pockets and any valuable contents of the bag that I was carrying. I proceeded to do as they said since I was in no mood to become more than just a victim of robbery. Even as I type this now I feel that I am far too calm about this since I should be completely mortified. And to be honest, I am still in utter shock and mortified by these events that occurred last night. I left the incident unscathed physically and all that was taken was my phone and two credit cards of mine. So even though I do feel totally violated and have lost that sense of the security that I had, I am so happy to be alive and have a new respect for and perspective on life. I've barely gotten any sleep since last night (maybe an hour at most), so I hope that you all pardon the laziness of my outfit today. I'm not going to go into detail about my look today because that's the least of what I'm thinking about today. I will say, however, that life is short. It's cliché, but it's true. Do not take your life and the things you cherish most for granted. Don't get caught up worrying about the things that you lose or have taken from you that can easily be replaced. It's not worth it when there's so much more in your life to live for. I know that this sounds a little preachy (and I couldn't agree more), but these words and this lesson is something that all of us can learn from. And as my best friend, Jon, told me today "You were given a chance thirty two years ago and then thirty two years later you were given another chance". It's not about what's taken from you, it's about what you've gained in spite of it all. Thank you all for listening to what I had to say and I hope that you all get something out of this as I certainly did.

No comments:

Post a Comment